background

Friday, July 1, 2011

Things I Hate: Running & Re-Learning



“Pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness, gentleness. Fight the good fight of faith.” – 1 Timothy 6:11-12

I hate re-learning things. You know when you have those “aha!” moments when you realize something new? Some little gem of wisdom about life or about yourself. You realize this new revelation changes everything, and you think, “I’ll never go back to the way I was!” You walk about life scoffing at those who don’t know what you know. How could they be so foolish? You decide that you should probably educate them on your new found wisdom.

Then time passes…

And you find yourself returning to your old ways and forgetting the revelation.

I hate that.

It reminds me of running. Maybe because I also hate running. There has never been a time when I was running that I wasn’t wondering when I would get to stop running. But, many moons ago, I trained for a 10K (that’s right I said a 10K, not a marathon or a half marathon, just 6.2 miles). It took me 6 months to train (ha!), and when I  finished the race I felt fantastic. In my mind I was basically the Lance Armstrong of running. So, I lived off that arrogance for a couple of months and then I decided to go for a run. I barely made it a half mile. I had lost it.

That’s how I feel spiritually sometimes. I like progress, advancement, growth, accomplishment. But, in those moments of re-learning, I start to believe that I haven’t moved even one step.   

Not true.

God is taking us each someplace. A very individual, very personalized path that he has plowed. And when I look at where I was 5 years ago, I am stunned by how far he has brought me.

So, fight the good fight. Don’t be discouraged. If you are turning your heart to His, then He is growing you, changing you, advancing you. His economy, his progress, his advancement is just measured differently than ours.

Perfectly.

P.S. Over the next few posts I’m going to list a few things God makes me re-learn over and over…besides how to run. What have you re-learned? I would love to hear! 

5 comments:

  1. I'll think about that question and get back to you... I loved talking today! And btw, I love your illustrations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've re-learned a million times NOT to make to-do lists. I make a list for every season/holiday/month/etc. A list will typically start on a post-it note but then grow until it becomes a ridiculous list of silly things that could do without being done (and I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to be crossing things off the list and not adding more). I get to the point where I wake up and just want to get through the things on that list because that will make me feel accomplished for the day. I think we talked about this in small group last year and I'm already re-learning it. I'll say to myself, "if I just get through this week I'll be good," or "if I just make it through this to-do list I'll be on the right track." I forget to enjoy God's graces each and every day and just trust in Him that every thing will get done in its own time.

    p.s. Ashley, I love your blog and you! MISS YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such an amazing writer!! i love everything about ur words!! keep em coming :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So well put Madison! I do all those exact things!

    And thank you Ashley! I appreciate the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It only took me like 12 days to come up w/ my answer... and I really was thinking about it! I forget that I can't fix myself. I try and try, just like the foolish Galatians who try to be perfected in the flesh. I am constantly re-learning to let Jesus do the work. I just posted about it on my blog.

    Love you. Let's hang out!

    ReplyDelete