background

Saturday, June 25, 2011

I Trust You

Yesterday my friend Leah and I spontaneously went to the outlet mall where I bought an embarrassingly large number of Nike shorts. Not the kind that all the college and trendy high school girls wear, but a much more mature Nike Dri Fit version...obviously. They are the perfect length and fit, so I stocked up. 

Leah has an adorable little boy, Henry, and another bun in the oven, so I asked her what has been the most surprising aspect of having children. She said, 


"Everyone told me I would love my kid. But, I don't just love him, I continue to love him more and more than the day before." 


I didn't tell her right then, (I prefer to say encouraging things over the internet rather than in person.) but it captivated me. God has entrusted Leah with this precious life, and she is being faithful in a thousand tiny ways. 

Jesus said, "From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked." (Luke 12:48) 

Those of us who God has given gifts are held to a higher standard. Which is everyone! He gives us something precious. He gives us a role, a part to play. 

I imagine it this way... 

I walk up to a king's throne and he hands me a small bag of gold coins. He leans in close to my face and whispers, "Be wise and faithful with these." He owns the coins, but he is allowing me to manage them for him. He is investing in me. Months later I return to the king and have started a business with the gold coins and now have two bags. I hold up the bags, excited to show the king. "Well done!" The king exclaims. "You have been good and faithful with the few coins I have given you; I will set you over much." He reaches behind his throne, grabs a golden treasure box, and hands it to me. I open the box. Inside are rubies, diamonds, gold, silver...there is such a large amount and variety of treasures in the box it's hard for me to take them all in at once. Now he has trusted me with much more. I have a greater responsibility but with greater potential rewards!  

This story is based on Jesus' words in Matthew 25. The truly fantastic twist is that God, our king, entrusts us with even more priceless treasures than in this story. He gives us abilities, friendships, gifts, insights into scripture, direction, leadership roles, a spouse, a voice in someone's life, the Spirit bringing someone to mind who needs us. The treasures are vast and unique to each of us. 

But, we must be faithful. 

We must utilize the abilities. 
Love the friends. 
Appreciate the gifts. 
Let the insights and revelations of scripture soak down into the deepest parts of us. 
Walk in the direction he is pointing. 
Lead with integrity and courage. 
Be patient with our spouse. 
Speak truth into someone's life. 
Call the person who comes to mind. 


And he promises that if we are faithful in the little things, he will give us even bigger things. Exciting! 

Here are a few things I know God has entrusted me with: 



Can you guess what they are?
What about you? What are some things you know he has entrusted you with? 

P.S. God has not entrusted me with that donkey. 



6 comments:

  1. If I had one wish it would be that my little face would be in a little frame in this little post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the shout out. This is nice and convicting for me... since I just got in a really stupid argument with the hubs. UGH. Being faithful in little things is tough, mainly bc I just want to do the glorious things. Good word.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I think we too often view things as obligations when really they are things we've been entrusted with. Thanks ash!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this reminder that responsibility is attached to the gifts God gives us, like a 16 year old being handed keys to a new car by their parents. I so often forget that my role as a teacher is a HUGE gift (and responsibility) from God that I have a chance to inspire, love, and guide their little hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great Monday morning thought, Ashley! It was super encouraging to read from my desk at work as I think about what He has entrusted me with lately and how I can use those things to bring Him glory! Also- I LOVE that you are moving into "mature" Nike shorts. You're growing up so fast! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks y'all! I am loving the feedback. So many women I love and admire on this comment thread!

    ReplyDelete