background

Thursday, February 17, 2011

How to be Productive



One of my dearest friends, Melissa, sent me the most encouraging email, so I got her the Starbucks above. I recently told her how guilty I’ve been feeling about my lack of productivity. I’ve been sick with some strange health issues for about 6 months now, and in the last couple of weeks I’ve been sick twice. Being sick so often is really challenging my neurotic nature to do EVERYTHING and constantly be making over my life.  My looks, my friendships, my style, my spirituality, my marriage, my intellect…somehow I’ve convinced myself that I need a complete overhaul…everyday. But, anyway, Melissa’s email simply had this verse:

“It is no use for you to get up early and stay up late working for a living. The Lord gives sleep to those He loves.” –Psalm 127:2

Can that be my life motto??

So, I went to look it up, and it also says this:

Unless the Lord builds the house, the builders labor in vain. Unless the Lord watches over the city, the guard stands watch in vain. It is no use for you to get up early and stay up late working for a living. The Lord gives sleep to those He loves.” –Psalm 127:1-2

And there’s the heart of the issue. Unless.

Unless the Lord gives wisdom, the student studies in vain.

Unless the Lord provides, the bank account does not grow.

Unless the Lord moves, peoples’ lives are not changed.

Unless the Lord does the work, there’s no point. So, don’t work your life away.

It seems that the psalmist is saying that the most “productive” someone can be is by turning to the Lord and asking him to do it.  So, it’s ok that I have to lay here on the couch and get better. He’s the one doing the work anyway. 

3 comments:

  1. Awe, I love you Ashley! Seriously... a blog comment is a weird place to say this, but the other day I was thinking to myself that you are one of my most favorite people. AND, also... I read something the other day in this little devo I had that reminded me of you (in relation to all the health stuff), but I am going to send it via email or FB message or something else.

    ReplyDelete